Many rushed to freeze their credit accounts after the Equifax breach, lest they find themselves the victims of identity theft. Of course, no one wants to find themselves ready to take out a loan for home only to find out that someone has impersonated you and taken that exact loan out already.
Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re considering freezing your accounts.
- Don’t panic, but be diligent about checking if you were a victim during the hack.
- Understand what a freeze is and what the process is.
- Know that there are costs involved, especially if you freeze and un-freeze and re-freeze.
- A credit freeze won’t protect you fully, especially if you lose a credit card.
- If your credit is needed, expect delays if you’ve frozen your accounts.
- Continually check your statements to monitor for any inconsistencies.
Image via The New York Times.